Diversity, equity, & inclusion practice
Inspired by the article Ten Simple Rules for Building an Anti-Racist Research Lab, we, the members of the Shiu lab, commit to the following actions:
1. Discussion on anti-discrimination or related topics
We will read relevant literatures on anti-discrimination practices for monthly discussions with the goals to:
- Consider our perspectives
- Know when and how to speak up
2. Establish a lab “DEI intermediary”:
We will have lab members serving as intermediaries in six month rotations to:
- Act as a confidente of DEI-related complaints and feedback.
- Communicate with PI on DEI-related issues that need to be resolved.
- Moderate bi-annual evalution of mentoring practices in the lab.
3. Publishing and grant writing with minority colleagues
We will actively:
- Identify minority colleagues with similar research interests
- Seek research collaborations with the ultimate goals of joint publications and proposals.
4. Intentionally recruit minority students and staff
The PI as well as the lab members will:
- Identify minority applicants through graduate programs, summer research programs, meetings, and other venues.
- Conduct annual evaulation of recruitment practice in our lab.
5. Advocate and support actions of minority colleagues
- Support efforts to organize at the departmental and inter-departmental levels
- Advocate for diversity in leadership in science in our institution and beyond.
6. Remind ourself why we are doing this
- Hold ourselves and the powerful accountable
- Not seek any payback or gratitude for anti-discriminatory practices.